The Essential Home Seller’s Checklist
A home’s appearance can make the difference between a home that flies off the market and a house that lingers on it. Follow this seller’s checklist, and move your home.
Outside The Home
The home’s front yard is what buyers see first. It can make or break a deal, and needs to look good.
Be sure to:
- Mow the lawn a week or less before showings.
- Edge the driveway and sweep away dead grass.
- Trim all shrubbery.
- Make sure the grass and shrubbery are flush: Symmetry equals beauty.
- Remove dead and dying bushes; replace them with new ones.
- Plant fresh flowers in the front of the home.
- Sweep off the front porch, back porch, driveway, and walkways.
- Power wash the driveway and walkways.
- Clean all outdoor furniture, windows, and gutters.
- Clear out the gutters.
- Paint siding and trim.
View the interior of the home as a butler would:
- Put away personal photos and family portraits
- Pack up prized trophies, awards, and framed certificates.
- Hide toys and sporting or exercise equipment; these are also considered personal items.
- Remove any personal items that may offend other people.
- De-personalize your bathrooms; this includes frames with quotes.
- Dust off kitchen cabinets and their interiors.
- Wipe down kitchen countertops, toilet seats, and hardwood floors; anything that can shine should shine.
- Professional cleaning is an added bonus ($150-$200).
The Home’s Appliances:
Make sure all appliances work. An appliance that doesn’t work, or doesn’t work as well as it should, suggests additional maintenance may be needed in other areas.
Resolve any maintenance issues before listing. When it’s time to sell, make sure:
- All toilets flush smoothly.
- Water flows from all faucets.
- Air rushes from vents.
- Hot and cold air in each room ebbs and flows when the temperature on the air conditioner changes.
- Light bulbs radiate soft, warm light.
Follow the above home selling tips, and your house will fly off the market.
To learn more tips and advice, visit our blog!
Mark Spain Real Estate is grateful to serve all of Metro Atlanta and Athens in Georgia, Charlotte and Raleigh in North Carolina, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville in Florida, and Nashville in Tennessee!